10 Opinions about Rum
1. Do not let the biases of others color what you enjoy; simply understand why you enjoy it. In the end that is all that matters.
2. The owners of a rum brand should understand their products better than anyone else. That includes people who create their own blends of rums.
3. Understanding a spirit takes years of study. Just because you are an expert in Cognac, does not mean you understand the nuances of Whiskey or Rum.
4. If you are interested in learning about a product, always dig deeper than the press release.
5. Pay close attention to the list of brands attending a rum festival before you purchase a ticket. It helps manage your expectations.
6. Visit distilleries any chance you get. Each one is an opportunity to learn.
7. If you see a four-year-old rum that is darker than most eight-year-old rums, you have every right to be suspicious.
8. A rum that is a blend from several countries can be a lot of fun to explore.
9. You can learn a good deal by reading old books about rum.
10. There are big differences between “Rhum”, “Ron”, and “Rum” understanding why you like or dislike certain brands and flavor profiles is your Rosetta stone to better understanding rums from around the world.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.